A very interesting piece of ephemera, Decapitation of the Earl of Derby, probably from the 1800s.
Found in a King James Bible dated 1790 and printed in Bolton England.
In very good condition. Please see all photos for condition before you purchase.
Size: Approx. 4 3/4 inches by 7 inches.
EARL OF DERBY, IN 1651
(Extracted from the Bolton Chronicle of Saturday
February 15th, 1845.)
This venerated nobleman, at the period when Cromwell and the Puritans exercised sway in England, strenuously enspoused the cause of Charles the Second. His Lordship made every effort in his power to raise forces in Lancashire to oppose the Covenanters ; But at the battle near Wigan, which the Earl of Derby commanded, He had only 600 horse and a few companies of foot soldiers, whilst Colonel Lilbourne, who commanded Cromwell’s forces, had 3000 horse and foot. The action continued two hours; during which, the Earl received seven shots upon his breast plate, 13 cuts upon the Beaver which covered his steel cap , and five wounds on his arms and shoulders; his companions in arms Lord Witherington , Sir Thomas Tyldesley and Sir J. Throgmorton, were slain ; and upwards of 700 of Cromwell’s forces lay dead upon the field of battle . The Earl of Derby escaped, but was captured by Some of Cromwell soldiers, who met him went on their route to Worchester. He was conveyed prisoner to Chester Castle , where he was tried by a mock military Commission, at which the notorious Bradshaw and his confederates in murderous crime, assisted. The Earl was sentenced to be beheaded in Bolton; and on the 14th of October, 1651, he left Chester, and arrived at Leigh, near Winwick, on the same evening. On the following morning he reached Bolton, guarded by two troops of horse and a company of foot soldiers. As he passed along the route the people everywhere wept and prayed for him. On entering into the house opposite which the fatal scaffold was erected , near where the Cross then stood (where a pump is at present) his lordship exclaimed, “this must be my cross”. The house into which he was taken and spent a few hours in devotion previous to his execution, is now called the “Man and Scythe,” in Churchgate, in Bolton, and is occupied by Mr. Francis Guffog. A stone tablet in the kitchen wall of this house proves that it was erected in 1636; And when the present occupier entered it, the room window which must have faced the scaffold, was very small; And beneath it was a narrow door, blocked up, through which the Earl most probably passed and walked along a platform, from which, according to a Lancashire historian, “He ascended by a few steps to the fatal scaffold.”
Decapitation of the Earl of Derby